Sunday, December 26, 2010

Page 1 [Chapter 1]

So here I am. It's the holidays, and I'm surrounded by 7 inches of snow (that's a record for my hometown). After eating a plate full of Christmas dinner leftovers and debating the intricacies of religious theology and modern science with my mother over the sounds of American Chopper, I fell asleep on the couch and suddenly awoke without apprehension. Remote already in hand, I turned on the second season of the British Office. Then, I took a pause and thought about my reality towards transcendence; this thought has become a persistent one over the past 2 weeks. It began when I was driving home and listening to the Chomsky Foucault Debates. One of the main topics dealt with the nature of innate drives and behaviors, which ended with a preoccupation of overcoming destiny through perception. Admittedly, the description of this thought comes across as being largely esoteric in nature. It is ultimately this thought that eventually lead to my current obsession with the topic of transcendence. However, there is something different about this feeling.

As I sit up and flip my netbook on, the page opens to a biography on Alexandre Dumas' father. Apparently, his mother was Afro-Caribbean and was later nicknamed Diable Noir due to his military service during the French Revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment